Thursday, August 7, 2014

How Long Does it Take to Recover from Laser Eye Surgery

When I had laser eye surgery a few years ago to correct my nearsightedness the initial recovery time was rapid. But for anyone who has laser eye surgery to correct nearsightedness or myopia which is the medical term for nearsightedness there are a number of actions needed to ensure a rapid recovery.

There are also a number of different things one needs to recover from when having laser eye surgery.

What Happens During Laser Eye Surgery
After being prepped a patient will have their eyelids taped open and then a machine will cut 3/4 of their cornea. The laser eye surgeon will then gently pull back the flap of the cut cornea using tweezers. Another machine will then automatically perform the laser surgery by cutting the eyeball into the proper shape for perfect vision.
Once the eyeball has been reshaped the surgeon replaces the cornea flap. He or she then brushes the flap back onto the eye using a plastic brush. The brush scratches the cornea a bit as it smooths it out and makes sure it is properly back into its position covering the eyeball. Once one eye is done the same procedures are followed for the second eye.
Immediate Effects to Vision and Pain
As soon as the laser is done reshaping the eye ones vision will be perfect. At least mine was. Even though everything was a bit foggy and hazy after the surgery as soon as I sat up from the laser chair I could see the time on a clock well across the room through the haze.
Once the surgery is done the eyes do hurt a bit and it is hard to open them. This condition is going to last until you go to bed the first night after the surgery. Someone else must drive you home from the surgery.
Initial Recovery Time
In my case there was pain involved and difficulty opening my eyes from the time the surgery was over until I went to bed the night of the surgery. And I wanted to open them because I could already see that my vision was vastly improved and perfect.
I could watch TV but it was hard. It felt like when one wakes up from darkness at night and turns on a bright light. It was hard to open the eyes like that. And the pain was like when you scratch your cornea accidentally.
Recovery by Next Morning
Once I went to bed the night was a little painful as I kept waking up to put drops in my eyes. Both wetting drops and anti-biotic drops as prescribed by the doctor. But by the next morning my eyes felt 90% better. I no longer had any trouble opening them and almost all the pain was completely gone.
I was able to drive myself back to the doctor's office for the next morning's check-up and was delighted to find that my vision was now 20-15. A few years after the surgery my vision still remains 20-15.
How to Ensure a Rapid Recovery
This is key to a rapid recovery and avoiding problems and complications. After laser surgery one Must keep the eyes lubricated with drops. I kept putting drops into my eyes every 15 minutes or so after the surgery until I went to bed that night and then for weeks after.
It's critical to keep the eyes wet. Otherwise the cornea flap could dry out and and stick to your eyelid and be moved from its proper position on the eye. One of the nurses told me that most of the problems they have comes from people not keeping the eyes properly lubricated after the surgery.
After the surgery you will also be given protective goggles. The goggles must be worn at night because many people involuntarily rub their eyes while they sleep. Rubbing the eyes after laser surgery could easily move the corneas which were cut to do the surgery. Wearing the goggles at night prevents this.
Also if you are an athlete and want to run or do anything athletic for weeks after the surgery wearing the goggles is a must. I wore the goggles for sleeping and running daily for about 6 weeks after the surgery and had no problems.
Quick Summary of How Long it Takes to Recover from Laser Eye Surgery
In my case there was pain and difficulty opening my eyes from the time I had the surgery until I went to bed that night. A period of maybe 5 to 6 hours. By the next morning I was 90% recovered and able to drive myself to the next day checkup and felt fine.
By following the doctors orders and keeping my eyes well lubricated and wearing the protective goggles while sleeping and during exercising I was able to avoid any complications.
Years after the surgery I have had no problems with my eyes and still see with 20-15 vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment